Sunday, February 23, 2014

Let the soaping begin.....

I have been making homemade laundry detergent for almost two years now.  Doing this has sparked my curiosity on making homemade cleaners and soaps.  I took a soap class last year at a local place called Quiet Creek Herb Farm.  It was the start of something really fun for me.  I was a bit nervous to handle the lye part of soap making and wanted to be sure to have a hands on live presentation on just how to do it.  Rusty Orner did a great job of teaching soap making and the chemistry behind it.

My first batch was completely given out as Christmas presents to school teachers, friends and family.  The response from this was amazing and thus created my desire to make soaps to sell at local craft shows and online for something to do and to perhaps create some pocket change for extra activities for the family.

I hope to keep this blog up and running to document my progress and show off my fun hobby.  Oh how I only wish I could share the smell of these soaps.

Keep checking back, I will be making soap frequently.

Below is the only type of soap that is cured and ready to sell.  Its basic cold pressed soap using organic palm kernel oil, coconut oil, olive oil, sodium hydroxide (lye) and organic Orange Cinnamon essential oil.. I also took an orange peel and chopped it and dried it to add color.  It turned out beautiful.  If your interested I am selling this for $4.00 per 4 ounce bar.  You can comment below or email me at pookeymom@msn.com with SOAP in the title of your email.


No comments:

Post a Comment